Saturday, August 28, 2010

Entry 2- Inventorying Trees for Fun?

Trees near a lake. Tree at right is Betula pen...Image via WikipediaI interviewed Janine Brady (not her real name!) yesterday, and I discovered once again that other people's hobbies always seem weird to me.  Janine is 23, works as a receptionist in a vet's office, and on the weekends, she volunteers with a bunch of different organizations that promote native plants.  She does other things, too, but what struck me about her was that she was very excited that our school is having a campus tree inventory in a couple of weeks.  You have to go to a 3-hour class the Friday afternoon beforehand, because this apparently is a lot more than just counting the trees.  They're going to do something with GPS (since the trees don't move, what's the point of this?) and some other odd (to me, at least) things. 
Janine is not sure what career she wants to pursue, but she thought she'd get her gen eds out of the way while she's trying to figure it out.  I have no idea what angle I'm going to take on this for the profile assignment.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment