Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I know, I know . . .

Pink and Green Flying Super HeroineImage by Jenn and Tony Bot via FlickrYep, I'm way behind in my postings.  I did all the journal entries direct to our course page, and I forgot to post them here.  I'll try to do better from now on.
Today I'm getting ready for a conference tomorrow with Dr. Toffee about our big assignment (25% of the course grade).  My draft is a mess.  (It's happening again-- Zemanta just put up a bunch of pictures and articles having to do with mental health.  I must really sound nuts to them).  So anyway, the assignment is to analyze a scene from a film using what she calls a "critical model."  I picked the film Bewitched, and I'm using gender studies as my model.  I'm pretty excited about it, because I found a bunch of things in my scene that contradict everything that was in the movie reviews I read about it.  

But I'm still not happy with my thesis, and I hope she can help me out.  The one thing I came up with has more to do with what everybody thinks a female character has to be in order to be true to the women's movement than it does with the film.  All the reviewers thought that the witch character was a throwback to the 1950s because she wasn't a "strong" woman, meaning, I guess, that she wasn't forceful and ambitious.  What she wanted was the average kind of life you see on TV.  A nice home, a nice husband, a nice career, and so on.  When things don't work out that way, she takes action, which is exactly what she should do -- why should she throw her weight around when everything is going fine?  Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment