Saturday, December 1, 2012

What's Epic About That?

A pizza hut. The building is in Stratford-upon...
A pizza hut. The building is in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England. It is on the corner of Ely Street and High Street (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I was just checking my AOL email, and there was one from Pizza Hut, offering "Two Epic Boxes."  Basically, they're just boxes of carbs (pizza, breadsticks, and cinnamon sticks:  that's a lotta dough).  So why do they say "epic"?  I watched some TV yesterday (the MAC Championship game between NIU and Kent State; my brother went to NIU, so I watch their games if I'm not doing anything else.  NIU won in double overtime-- which is kind of epic.  Go Huskies!), and it seemed like half the commercials used epic to describe something -- and the other half used "ridiculously."  I don't get it. 

I was switching between the game and a Lifetime movie, and the commercials during the movie used "decadent" a lot.  Didn't the Roman Empire fall because of decadence?  I seem to remember that from Early World History when I was a sophomore in high school.  So if decadence is bad, why pay money for it?  Use these three words in a sentence, and you might get:  "Try our decadent epic boxes o' carbs, and fill out your ridiculously scrawny figure."  Maybe it's just me, but I wonder what words we'll have to use to communicate epic, ridiculously, and decadent, when that's what we mean.

Can you tell that I'm just trying to get all thirty of my entries done for my blog project in Eng 101?  I need five more by midnight next Friday.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment