Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Working Thesis Won't Work

Dwarves at the Council of Elrond in Peter Jack...
Dwarves at the Council of Elrond in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Well, I've got a working thesis for my research project, but I don't think it will work in the long run, since it seems kind of obvious to me.   I need to come up with something that more people will disagree with.  For now, I'm going with "Each of the members of the Fellowship of the Ring is a hero in his own right and on his own hero's journey."  This doesn't really take the archetypes into consideration, and that's what I'm most interested in, which is why I'm not happy with it. 

Just now I thought, or remembered, that I'm confined to the first film (which I have sort of been ignoring), and I'm wondering if you can really tell from FOTR alone that each one is a hero.  I mean, it's obvious once the entire trilogy is over, but at the end of the first film, Frodo and Sam have gone off on their own, Boromir and Gandalf (supposedly) are dead and the rest are split, with Merry and Pippin captured by orcs and Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli trailing them.

And, I just thought of something else that deserves its own post, so that's all for now.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment