Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Getting a jump on English 101--and alligators!


My class doesn't start until tomorrow, but I looked at the course page on Blackboard and got the first two assignments.  Project 1 is to set up a blog and post 30 100-word entries by the end of the term, so I'm (obviously!) tackling it first.  One of the prompts for this week asks about Project 2, which is a narrative essay about something that happened to me before I was twelve years old.

I think I've already made my decision about what experience to write about, but I can't be sure it'll work until after we talk about the assignment in class.  When I was about 6 years old my parents took us (my sister, brother, and 16-year-old aunt) on a road trip to Miami.  One of the places we went to was a sort of reptile zoo, and my aunt fainted when she saw that a foot-long chunk of an alligator's tail was lying inside the exhibit.  Ever since then, we've been giving her a hard time about it every time we see her.  I think this will work because I've never forgotten it.  All I have to do now is figure out what it means to me.

Related material
Video- Alligator fight.  It's not very exciting, but you can see that the end of the tail is a favorite target when alligators attack each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment