Saturday, August 26, 2017

Hold on just a minute: No-tuition College?

English: Study of rising college costs due to ...
English: Study of rising college costs due to cost shifting from state funding to tuition. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
On my last post, two of the related articles at the bottom are about colleges waiving tuition.  If only this idea would catch on!  I want to transfer to a 4 year school once I get my associate's degree, but I really don't want to have to take out loans.  
It could happen.  Last weekend I watched an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" where he "ruined" college.  That kind of needs an explanation:  he wasn't saying that college was unnecessary, or anything like that.  He was actually giving facts and figures on how vital it is to have a degree if you want to be employed.  And how, because of that change in our economy, we need to rethink college tuition:  public elementary and high schools are tuition-free because people needed to have that level of education in order to get jobs and become productive members of society, so there is a precedent. Anyway, he had a lawyer on who specializes in student loan issues, and she flat-out said that there shouldn't be tuition at state schools.  
You can watch the whole episode on their website above.  I think everybody should!

No comments:

Post a Comment