Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Forgot to mention-- Big drama during conferences

I can't believe I forgot.  Lisa did my peer review last Friday.  She's already heard all about my project (she went to see Sherlock Holmes with me a couple weeks ago-- my notes were in too big of a mess, and the DVD wasn't coming out soon enough).  She thought that I did a pretty good job, but she wanted to know more about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and she suggested a few places where I could add that.  I may add some, because his non-SH stories do connect with my thesis in a way.
Anyway, Lisa's draft (probably the fifth or sixth one) didn't work right.  I could tell it when I was doing the review.  I think she tried too hard.  She had her conference yesterday, too, and she burst into tears when she sat down at the desk.  What do you do when somebody does that in front of you?  Dr. Toffee gave her a pack of Kleenex (she had it ready like she was expecting someone to cry), and then she just told her how to fix it.  It sounded like Lisa tried out a bunch of different theses (is that the right word?), and the one in the draft she submitted was the one she should have gotten rid of.  She was arguing that parents choose names for their babies in an effort to try to control them before they are born, and she got kind of emotional (in the essay, I mean).  Issues, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment