Friday, January 20, 2012

Back again for spring semester in English 102

Cowboys and AliensCowboys and Aliens (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)
Note to readers:  Rhonda's been through a rough time lately (which somewhat explains her failure to post last term), but she swears to me that she is going to be more conscientious this semester.
Dr. Toffee

So I'm supposed to be making my topic choices for my semester-long research project now (in the first week!).  I have to decide on a film and a "critical approach."  The list of films is pretty long, and I've seen a lot of them, but I haven't got a clue about the approach part of the assignment.  We're going to get some guidance on that, I'm told, and I hope it's not too hard.  Nothing is jumping out at me so far from the films.  There's only six approaches on the assignment sheet:  myth criticism, cultural studies, shame theory, disability studies, genre criticism, and gender studies (we can do that, or one of the subcategories of women's studies, men's studies, or queer theory, so I guess there's actually nine approaches).  These all look sort of interesting, but I think I need to spend a bit more time thinking about this. 
I saw Cowboys & Aliens over the summer with my boyfriend-- it's on the list under men's studies.  That might work, and my brother has the DVD.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment