Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Stasis Theory and Me (?)

English: Chart of the United States' debt ceil...Image via WikipediaThis week we're supposed to "think about stasis theory" because our first essay assignment is to analyze a newspaper editorial by applying stasis theory.  Basically, we just have to identify the argument being made.  I think I've got this one nailed.  The editorial I picked is about the debt ceiling crisis, and how "10 idiots held the entire country hostage on a whim."  After answering the stasis questions, I'm pretty sure it's an argument of fact:  the newspaper is pointing out all of the consequences of the refusal to vote to raise the ceiling, which certainly put that group -- and their constituents -- in a pretty bad light.  They saw their actions as a victory, but the editorial makes it clear that they did harm on a global scale.
Now all I have to do is start a draft.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment