Friday, March 23, 2012

The Anger Games

Angry Talk (Comic Style)Angry Talk (Comic Style) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)We're back from spring break this week, and I've turned in my annotated bibliography, but there's something funny about that:  I'm not going to be able to use too many of the sources I listed.  I have to change my focus.  There just wasn't enough material on the fathering angle, at least not the things I wanted to talk about.  And then it hit me that there is something else interesting going on, which is how each of the men in the film deal with anger. 
For one thing, anger seems to be Dolarhyde's default setting -- it's like he's permanently pissed off.  Lonergan is a good contrast to him:  he only rarely gets angry, and he doesn't automatically react to new threats with anger; he's more interested in dealing with the problem.  Doc gets angry out of frustration, mainly because he has no power to change anything, given the situation.  Nat, despite his attachment to Dolarhyde, doesn't use him as a role model.  He's actually more like Lonergan.
So.  I spent spring break doing fresh research, and I came up with some good articles.  I'm going to mix the material on anger with the basic men's studies material, and I'm pretty sure it's going to work this time.  It better-- the draft is due in a couple of weeks.   
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment