Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Better Dead than Disabled?

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 08:  Jade Jones of Great...
LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 08: Jade Jones of Great Britain looks on after her race during the Visa London Disability Athletics Challenge LOCOG Test Event for the London 2012 Paralympic Games at Olympic Stadium on May 8, 2012 in London, England. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)
I'm taking a break from working on my draft, I just looked over my last few posts, and it hit me that I never talked about the second thing I mentioned from Siebers' list of myths about disability:  "It is better to be dead than disabled."  I don't know how I forgot about it, because Avatar says something really interesting as a kind of overall  position on disability. 

My first reaction to that myth was a memory of a guy in a restaurant (I think it was Chili's).  He was at the next table, and he and his wife (or girlfriend) were talking about a friend of theirs who had just come back from Iraq after being in an explosion.  I was trying not to listen, but he was loud, and we were all eating, so we were quiet.  Well, what he said was, "If that ever happens to me, just shoot me."  I didn't realize it then, but I've heard people say stuff like that lots of times.  And it makes no sense, now that I'm giving it some thought.  How do you know how you would feel if that really happened to you?  What about all the people who are living with disabilities and who seem to be enjoying life?  Where did this stupid idea come from, anyway?
So, what does Avatar say about it?  The movie basically says that it is better to be a blue alien on a planet millions of miles away from your home, surrounded by strangers, than it is to be a human with a disability. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment