Saturday, October 13, 2012

Peer Reviews

Peer Review opening illo for UA/AU - Canada
Peer Review opening illo for UA/AU - Canada (Photo credit: albyantoniazzi)

Yesterday we had the peer review workshop for the critical analysis paper, and my reaction was mixed.  My reviewer (who said he had seen The Hunger Games) seemed to be in a big hurry to finish, and the comments he made weren't all that helpful, at least not from what I can see.  Along with answering the questions on the sheet we were given, we also had to answer three questions from the author of the paper.  My questions were 1.  do you understand the thesis?  2.  Is there enough stuff about the myth crit model or did I forget something?  3.  Does the analysis make sense?  I think that part of the problem is the way I wrote the questions.  He gave yes-and-no answers, and I don't think he gave them any thought.  Oh well.

On the other hand, the paper I reviewed taught me a lot.  It was not by the guy who was reviewing mine, which was a good thing, since if I had gotten his review after working so hard on mine, I'd be really pissed at him.  Anyway, I think I learned as much from the things in the paper that were bad as I did from the good stuff, mostly because I did some of the bad things, too, but I didn't notice them in my paper until I saw someone else do it. 

Next week is the conference about revising my paper.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment