Saturday, November 3, 2012

Rita Dove's The First Book

Cover of "Bride of the Rat God"
Cover of Bride of the Rat God

This is now one of my favorite poems.  It's so simple, yet it says everything it needs to say about that moment when you first hit upon the book that turns you into a reader.  I'm pretty much a "narrative junkie," with a two-book-a-day habit, and since the semester started, I'm about 30 books behind.  Yeah, I'm reading a lot for school, but it's not like I'm reading stories.  And I've gotten really cranky over not having the time to read for myself.  This is the reason I stopped posting for a while:  I needed to read. 

So, what did I read?  I re-read a couple of favorites, Barbara Hambly's Bride of the Rat God (since it just came out on Nook-- I love that thing!) and Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes (another Nook download; I read this in fourth grade and it's still as good as I remember), as well as four free-Friday Nook ebooks.  I've been reading Norwegian mysteries by Jo Nesbo; they are fascinating and disturbing.  My sister loaned me her Hamish MacBeth mysteries (by M. C. Beaton), and they should take me through to the holidays.

I feel so much better now.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment