Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Whole Bunch o' Heroes

Cover of "Jason and the Argonauts"
Cover of Jason and the Argonauts
When I was reading the first page in the assignment packet about our research options, I got an idea from the very short explanation of myth criticism:  "Films and other works of art draw on patterns established in cultural myths."  I read down to the list of films we can use, and the one I was thinking of (The Fellowship of the Ring) was there.  My idea was that one of the myth patterns in this film is (and this is really hard to state clearly, so bear with me) a group of heroes goes on a quest together.  This came to me because when I read the statement about myth crit, I immediately thought of a few myths, one of which was the story of Jason and the Argonauts (I saw a movie of that when I was little, and it stuck with me because the army of skeletons gave me nightmares for a long time).  I also remember an episode of Hercules (the tv show), where he went to see Jason and the rest of the Argonauts.   

I want to talk to the prof about this some, just in case I'm totally on the wrong track, so I guess I'm getting up early tomorrow to make it to her office hours.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment