Monday, October 14, 2013

Another "Sword-and-Sandals" is Coming

Gladiator (Hercules: The Legendary Journeys)
Gladiator (Hercules: The Legendary Journeys) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I've been following the Flickering Myth website for a while now, and yesterday they had an item about Hercules:  The Legend Begins (not to be confused with Hercules:  The Legendary Journeys, the '90s tv show with Kevin Sorbo), which is coming out next spring.  The trailer that was just released for the movie bears out almost everything I've been reading in my sources.  It's become obvious to me that this genre is alive and well, and it looks like my research paper (which I need to begin drafting next weekend at the latest) is going to use sword and sandals as a basis for arguing that Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief  represents either a subgenre of it or a "sibling" genre to it, which I am going to call neo-mythology.  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment