Sunday, August 24, 2014

Rackin' up the Nerd Points! or, How I Spent the Last Week of my Summer Vacation

Paul McGann as the nearly forgotten
 8th Doctor.  Q:  Who played the Master?
This blog is for my English 102 class.  I saw the assignment in the course syllabus on Blackboard, so I thought I'd try to get it set up.  I'm not sure what we will be writing about here, but at the moment I'm still processing the last week.  My older sister, Rebbie (short for Rebecca.  Don't call her Becky!), and I have been spending a lot more time together since our mom died a few months ago, and she has been taking/dragging me to many places I never thought of going before:  a renaissance fair, her cosplay group (I will never tell what they did to me, so don't ask), a comic book swap-meet (MiniMiniConMadness--I bought a couple of old She-Hulks for my dad; he used to be a fan, he says, but he still is), just to name a few that will probably make you think that Reb is a nerd princess (we went other places, too).  She isn't, but even if she were, there's nothing wrong with that!  She has a couple of friends who are heavily into it.  Her main sf/fantasy interest after Dracula is -- wait for it!---Dr. Who.  I confess, I like Dr. Who, too, but I'm pretty much on the fringes of the fan culture. I don't really have a main interest in this area. 

Tonight we're going with her Whovian pals (yes, I speak some Who) to see the season premiere of Dr. Who (which we already watched on tv last night) at a theater in Woodridge.  BBCAmerica was running old episodes non-stop all this last week, and we saw most of them.  Rebbie says she is going to give me a test later.  I'm ready-- the answer to the question under the picture above is Eric Roberts.        

No comments:

Post a Comment