Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What's wrong with long hair?

This is not funny

A couple of nights ago, Rebbie loaned me her DVD of Divergent, which I'm going to use for my research project.  I saw it in the theater when it was first released, but I didn't pay much attention to details outside of how it "diverged" from the book.  Anyway, I watched it again, and I think I've got an idea to get me going.  The first fight Tris has is with another initiate, Molly (I think that's her name), a really tough-looking woman about her age, and she (Tris) gets beaten up.  What I noticed this time was their hair.  Molly's is about chin length, but Tris's is pretty long, and it's usually in a ponytail just below the crown.  It suddenly struck me that this said something strange about her.  
A couple of years ago, when Rebbie was starting college, our folks signed us up for a basic self-defense class that was taught by a couple of police officers, one male, the other female.  After their lecture about how to avoid trouble in the first place, they did a quick demonstration of an attack with one of the other students.  I mention this because it turned out that they picked her for her long hair (in a ponytail).  The female officer grabbed her arm and used her other hand to grab the ponytail and pull her head back.  They pointed out that not only is having a ponytail giving an advantage to a mugger (or worse), you can be injured, possibly badly, depending on how hard the attacker pulls.  She suggested that we might want to think about changing our hairstyles.
I just thought of something else about this.  I'll be back in a bit once I've given it some more thought.   

No comments:

Post a Comment