Sunday, February 22, 2015

Paglia on Mitchell's "Woodstock"

Blue (Joni Mitchell album)
Blue (Joni Mitchell album) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I've just been reading Camille Paglia's analysis of Joni Mitchell's song "Woodstock."  I have an uncle who's a big fan of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, so I've heard the song lots of times and remembered most of the lyrics, but Paglia points out that their performance of the song is very different from Joni Mitchell's recording, which I don't think I've ever heard. 

I had some friends in high school who liked to analyze songs, but after reading Paglia's  . . . well, call it a dissection, I have to say that their efforts and probably the songs they picked were pretty half- (uh) baked (yeah, that's the word) compared to this essay.  

And, even though I don't think I could analyze anywhere near as well as Camille Paglia, I do feel better about my own writing after reading hers.  I've been worrying a bit about how I'm going to get 2100 words out of one scene in a film, when she managed to write (just an estimate!) 5000 or so about a short poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment