Monday, April 20, 2015

Talk about Mythic--Kevin Hearne Has Got it All--and a Druid!

Druid Ghost lite
Druid Ghost lite (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
In between writing my résumé and waiting to get my critical analysis back, I've been re-reading Kevin Hearne's funny Iron Druid books.  After all the work I did on my paper, it's good to see that the myth criticism approach really does work even when you aren't trying to do it!  Of course, Hearne is using actual myths (and creating new ones), both the classical and the little-known, so it shouldn't be surprising that I can pick out all sorts of monomyth elements and characteristics of the archetypes in the stories.  

Anyway, if you haven't read them, you ought to give them a try, if only for the mind-to-mind conversations between Atticus (the hero) and Oberon (his dog).  Hilarious dialogue!

No comments:

Post a Comment