Saturday, February 18, 2017

Looking for articles, I found a gold mine

Got my proposal back yesterday.  B+.  Since I never wrote a proposal before, I think I did really well.  Now I have to get cracking on the research; the definitions essay and the annotated bibliography are coming up fast.  I did some searching after class and found a few things that the prof mentioned during the shame theory lecture.  I started with Silvan Tomkins (she called him "the father of affect theory"), and it turns out that there is a Tomkins Institute.  From the website, it's kind of obvious that he really was a big deal.  The entry page has what I guess is a mission statement, and I have to quote it:
"Silvan Tomkins’s theory of innate, biologically-based affects describes the internal reward system that powers human motivation and explains the systematic, incremental development of emotion, learning, personality and ideology. We at the Tomkins Institute are devoted to testing, advancing, and applying this powerful Human Being Theory."

Maybe it's me, but that seems pretty intimidating.  I read a few things from the "What Tomkins Said" section of the site; my favorite is "The self lives in the face.”  Anyway, this site is a gold mine-- there's lots of people talking about shame in a way that's a bit easier to understand than Tomkins himself.

About the articles below:  I gave Zemanta the keyword "embarrassment," and most of the articles they suggested had something to do with Donald Trump.  I certainly didn't go looking for stuff about him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment