Saturday, January 30, 2010

I need a hero!

Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventures of She...Image via Wikipedia
I'm sort of inspired today by something that came up yesterday in class, which was the idea of heroes.  In an action film, there's always a hero, right?  And what makes this Sherlock Holmes different is that it is an action film, with Holmes as the hero.  Like I said before, I never thought of him that way, but, as you can see from the picture here, he seems to have always been a hands-on kind of detective without my realizing it.  My dad says that I don't know the stories very well, or I would know that Holmes fights and uses disguises.  (Thanks, Dad.  Actually, I think he may turn out to be a lot of help.)  I think that I may have a research question:  is Sherlock Holmes an action hero?

Dr. Toffee says that in an academic research project, you always wind up researching several things (she calls them components), and I guess she's right, because I can already see that I need to know about Holmes, heroes (specifically action heroes), and I'll  probably have to read some of the stories, too.  I got lucky there; my dad has all the stories plus a bunch of books about SH, which means I won't have to wait for interlibrary loans on them.

So I guess the next thing I need to do is look for background stuff, but I think I'll talk to Dr. Toffee during her office hours and see what she says.  I'll start checking out the short stories today and tomorrow.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment