Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Still Need a Hero! (or at least some information about one)

Photograph of the Library of Congress' collect...Image via Wikipedia
I've been doing some article and book searches for the past couple of weeks, and it's been interesting, but I'm not sure how helpful the stuff I've found is going to be.  I started looking at heroes (the Library of Congress subject heading) in Academic Search Premier, then in the MLA bibliography, and finally in WorldCat.  So far, I've ordered a few interlibrary loans (the college library is really tiny, bookwise), and I hope they arrive in time for the annotated bibliography assignment.  Anyway, some of the books and articles look really interesting.  I ordered:
Tasker, Yvonne, Ed.  Action and Adventure
       Cinema. London:  Routledge, 2004.
This is a collection of essays about action films, and a couple of the essays turned up in my MLA search.  I think that those will count individually on the bib assignment, so this is great.  Another book I found has a pretty intimidating title:
West, Russell, and Frank Lay, Eds.  Subverting
       Masculinity:  Hegemonic and Alternative
      Versions of Masculinity in Contemporary
      Culture. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2000.
I'm not too sure what that even means, but it sounds good for my project (I think I have to deal with the gay subtext that RD put on the table during promo interviews).
I still have work to do on the Sherlock Holmes searches, but more about that later.  I was pleased to see that I'm already doing what the professors who wrote the tips below say I should do.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment