Tuesday, September 19, 2017

"Make Me" makes me write

continued from previous post below

What made me want to write about Make Me was how it made me want to do a little research.  He writes about several things I never heard of, along with using a few words as if everybody knows what they mean, when I didn't have a clue.  I hate it when that happens.
Spoiler alert here, and I am sorry, because I think most people would enjoy the book and I hate to reveal anything about it, but I have to.  The plot involves the Deep Web.  I had heard of the Dark Web, which actually sounds more evil than the Deep Web, but is basically only stuff on the web that isn't active anymore but will never quite go away.  The Deep Web, on the other hand, is very active, despite the difficulty of searching in it.   The difficulty is caused by the site owners need to keep the sites from turning up on search engines in the first place, so that people can only get to them by referral or by a long, drawn-out process of going from one site to another.
I have to say that this is not a nice place to visit, and you sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.  What's there is stuff that is criminal.  I came across a piece on Slate that was answering the question "How do you access the Deep Web?" which laid out most of what I wanted to know and let me know that I don't ever want to access the Deep Web.
The bottom line for me is that Lee Child's book is not only compelling reading but also very firmly grounded in the real world, and that just makes the whole experience more intense.    

No comments:

Post a Comment