Tuesday, September 19, 2017

One from column A, one from column B

We got our new assignment, along with a 7-page handout we will need for it.  This project is a "critical analysis," which apparently means that we need a critical approach (not quite clear on this yet) to analyze a scene from a film.  So I have to decide on a film and an approach, and it looks kind of tricky.  The films are listed in six approach categories, Myth Criticism, Women's Studies, Men's Studies, Disability Studies, Shame Theory, and Genre Criticism.  I'm not sure yet, but I think I want to try Men's Studies.  I've seen most of the films listed, so I've got plenty of choice.  The one problem I see is that I need to make up my mind asap, or I'll be wasting time I might need.  Right now, I'm leaning toward Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, because 1. the plot is partly about a father-son relationship (one of the things Men's Studies is interested in), although I may not stick with that aspect of the film; and 2. I already bought the DVD and have watched it several times. 
I wanted the DVD because it's a movie that I know I'll want to watch every so often, if only to see Baby Groot's dance in the first fight scene to get a cute fix.  
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment