Thursday, January 25, 2018

Could I live in a dumpster?

Yes, this is inside a dumpster.
Dumpsterproject.org
Well, maybe, if I had to do that, but I sure wouldn't choose to:  I'm claustrophobic, badly enough that being in even a medium-sized room without an openable window makes my heart start to pound.  "Living Simply in a Dumpster" was published in the Atlantic some time ago, and it surprised me, just by not being about poverty.  By James Hamber, it's a profile of Jeff Wilson, a university professor who had been living in a dumpster by choice for some time when the piece was written.  More power to him, I say.  He teaches environmental science, and he puts his money where his mouth is.  I'm sort of wondering how much money he saved when he was living in the dumpster.  I'm imagining it--you can't have much, because there's no place to keep it.  So, clothing, just as one example.  If you could only have, say, four outfits, what would they be?  And pajamas count as one.  Ouch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment