Friday, June 29, 2012

I Crash and Burn, But Get Saved in the End

The Scent of Crash and Burn
The Scent of Crash and Burn (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Well, it's kind of obvious that I am having trouble keeping up with my workload.  I really should have cut back my hours at the store, but I need the money.  At the same time, I can't afford to waste the money I spent on the course, so I went to see Dr. Toffee about my problems -- she asked us to come see her if we were thinking of dropping.  And then she did something amazing.

She GAVE me a thesis for my research paper.  Of course, she brainstormed with me for a while and asked all kinds of questions about what I saw in Avatar (incidentally, my research proposal was a mess.  I didn't re-read the instructions before I wrote it, so it didn't make much sense), before she came up with three (!) different possible claims I could make about it.  She recommended that I take the easiest one, which was "Quaritch is an ableist villain," because the draft is due on 7/9.  I can do it, I think.

I didn't know that a teacher could do that, so I was kind of shocked.  She said that I was already thinking that anyway and all she did was put it into words, and I guess that's true, but I'm feeling sort of guilty about it.  That doesn't mean I'm not going to use it, though.  So now all I have to do is write a bunch more journal entries before midnight tonight (the checkpoint deadline), and then I'll get started on the draft.  I have the weekend off at work since I have to work the 4th of July sale (doesn't that just suck?), so the timing is good.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment