Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Ideology of Ability

DISABLED MUST PAY
DISABLED MUST PAY (Photo credit: Darren Cullen)
One of the sources that I'm going to use for my paper is Disability Theory, by Tobin Siebers.  His ideas are really interesting, and I got a ton of material out of the book, especially from the part about the ideology of ability, which he says is “at its simplest the preference for able-bodiedness.  At its most radical, it . . . set[s] the measure of body and mind that gives or denies human status to individual persons” (8).  Pretty tough, huh?  I never thought about this before, but I know I've seen people act like a disabled person wasn't human (the worst time -- it's a long story -- was when I saw a man get really disgusted when he saw a woman in a wheelchair.  I couldn't believe it).  Anyway, Siebers has a list of what he calls “ideas, narratives, myths, and stereotypes” (9) that are current in our culture, and some of them really fit how Quaritch treats Jake in the movie.  The two that struck me the hardest are "Nondisabled people have the right to choose when to be able-bodied.  Disabled people must try to be as able-bodied as possible all the time," and "It is better to be dead than disabled."  He's right, and I'll talk more about it in my next post. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment