Monday, September 17, 2012

Hunger

The Hunger Games (film)
The Hunger Games (film)
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I don't really want to talk about the essay I read for this week because I'm still thinking about the one I read last week.  This is because my sister Rebecca bought the DVD of The Hunger Games, and I finally managed to find the time to watch it.  I read the book a while back, and I was surprised at how little hunger was shown in the film.  It was almost as if they didn't want people to be thinking about an America where people are starving to death.  In the book, hunger is everywhere, even when they go to the capitol city (where Katniss forces herself to overeat to put on weight for when the games begin).  In the film, the people in District 12 look poor -- they're dirty, tired, and wearing old-fashioned clothes -- but they don't look underfed (if that's the right word for it).  The girl playing Katniss is pretty good in the part, but she looks really healthy, as if she never missed a meal in her life, and that was a problem for me when they flashed back to when she and her family are on the verge of starving to death and Peta throws a loaf of bread towards her.  Her face is just as rounded as it is in the rest of the film (just look at the poster above!).

And her clothing in the opening scenes of the film, where she's out hunting, doesn't look at all bad.  In fact, if you saw a clip of that scene and didn't know anything about the film it came from, you would not guess that she was even poor.  (A side note:  one of the articles below, with a picture of her in that scene, is about how Target is selling a line of clothing based on the film!)

The good thing for me about making this connection to the essay is that I've found the movie I want to use for my big project.  Now all I have to do is decide on which one of the critical approaches on the list would be the best one to use.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment