Saturday, February 27, 2016

I Listen to a Grandma Rant

The cast of Phineas and Ferb perform "Car...
The cast of Phineas and Ferb perform "Carpe Diem", which includes many characters drawn on the show. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I had just finished writing my last post when I realized that I could write about something that happened yesterday, because it did inspire me to write about it (all of our entries are supposed to be about research, writing, or our topic).  My grandmother is a closet Phineas and Ferb addict, and she's gotten me hooked, too, so yesterday afternoon, I set myself on the couch with tea and tissues, while she took the love seat, and we watched a block of episodes on Disney XD. 
Everything was fine until the second commercial break, when they ran two commercials that didn't just push her buttons-- they stomped on them.  The first one was for a game called Gas Out (I think the name is supposed to be a play on "gross out"), a card game where Guster the Gas Cloud farts at random intervals. There's several videos on YouTube, if you're curious. 
The second commercial was for a toy called "Booger Balls" (you can get this on Amazon).  You mix it up in a bowl, then throw the balls at your friends, covering them with slime, and hilarity ensues.
Grandma pretty much freaked out, and I learned that one of the things that gets on all her nerves is the "rampant vulgarity that is consuming this country."  She didn't stop at the commercials, either.  A certain presidential candidate came in for extra abuse ("even his hair is disgusting, and when he talks, you want to duct-tape your ears shut for fear of being contaminated!"), and so did the FX network for some sitcom I never heard of before.
Now, don't think that my grandma is some kind of uptight old lady who can't take a joke (the rant was hilarious!  I laughed myself into a coughing fit).  She meant it to be funny, but she also meant it, period.  
Net result?  I kind of agree with her.  Aren't you supposed to outgrow the need to gross people out?  And, her strongest point was about the message this kind of thing is sending kids.  "Do we really need to make being revolting an asset for an attractive personality?" Then I imagined some little runt hitting me with one of those balls, and I was completely on her side.  But I can't let her know, or she might pull me into a crusade that would have me marching outside Toys 'r Us with a "NO MORE BOOGERS!  NO MORE FARTING GAMES" sign.  Btw, did you know that there's recipes for some kind of food called "crusty booger balls"?  They came up first when I was searching for an image of the toy.
Hey!  Look at how much I wrote.  This should count for 2 or maybe even 3 entries, right?  Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment