Monday, February 1, 2016

Men's Studies and Avengers: Age of Ultron

Captain America and The Avengers
Captain America and The Avengers
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Today's lecture was on men's studies, and I've decided to use that for my approach to Avengers:  Age of Ultron.  What interested me most was behavior codes, specifically warrior codes.  Watching the film again had me noticing all sorts of things I didn't think about when I first saw it.  For example, it's kinda obvious that they've all been working together a lot, since they have developed team moves, like Thor hitting Captain America's shield with his hammer and knocking out a large group of soldiers at one time with the shock wave.  What struck me the most, however, was when Captain America talked about losing "together" if it was necessary.  The basic cause of the action is Stark wanting to work alone or just with Banner and wanting not to even discuss his plans with the rest of the team.  Is this just because he's so used to getting his own way he can't stand to be thwarted?  Or is it that he isn't sure that he wants to be part of the team when they're not actually fighting?  Either way, the code of the group seems to involve being a group and being open with the group about things involving the group.
I've got a lot of thinking to do, and a proposal draft due on Wednesday, so I'd better get to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment