Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dracula Girl Goes Western

A screenshot from Dracula Italiano: Uno screen...
A screenshot from Dracula Italiano: Uno screenshot del film Horror Express (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
It just occurred to me that I didn't mention my sister when I was writing about my research project, and I should have.  Rebecca is really into movies, and I talked to her a lot about Cowboys & Aliens.  Her favorite films are classic horror (Dracula, etc.), and she's been watching all the episodes of Dark Shadows (Netflix loves her) to get ready for the new movie that's coming out, but she was interested in how I was analyzing my movie.  She had never heard of men's studies before, and she watched the movie with me a couple of weeks ago (I had to watch it all the way through, since I kept forgetting about everything but the three scenes I was working on).  Her take on the genre-mixing was that it made it easier to nail down exactly what makes a western a western, and that is a need to show men with a purpose.  What she meant is that the guys in westerns know who they are and what they are doing -- no whining, no angst (except the drunks).  She said something like, "they show what men can be under the right circumstances."  Like when aliens show up. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment