Monday, April 2, 2012

Back in Class


The Rage of Achilles
The Rage of Achilles (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
My draft is due Wednesday (yes, the day after tomorrow), and I'm still not happy with it.  My current thesis is:  Cowboys & Aliens presents its hero as a man fully in control of his anger, suggesting that this attribute is key to the filmmakers' concept of masculinity.
I like this one; it's arguable, and it leaves lots of room to talk about all of the male characters, so I don't have to worry about making length.  I hope Dr. Toffee likes it -- I have to have a draft conference with her next week, and she'll have revision instructions for me.
One weird thing about Lonergan's anger:  the only time he shows real anger is when his "girlfriend" (for lack of a better term) tells him that he has to take the stolen money back.  This is kind of disturbing to me, since he seems to be very careful not to show anger in front of men.  He doesn't hurt her, but it is a loud argument before the aliens interrupt it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment