Thursday, April 26, 2012

Evaluating my Research Paper

Anger
Anger (Photo credit: ZORIN DENU)
Yes, this is twice in one day.  I have to make up for not posting while I was in a frenzy over getting my paper finished.  I think it turned out pretty well.  Actually, not to brag, but I really impressed myself (I can't be sure it would impress anyone else). 
My introduction was solid, at least I think it was.  I opened with a description of Doc and his wife, where he is kind of taking out his frustration on her.  The funny thing is that after I switched to looking at anger, Doc suddenly became a lot more important to the project.  One of the scenes I analyzed was after his wife was taken by the aliens -- he has a sort of transformation because of this, and his anger gets channeled into his determination to get her back.  My second scene (which came first in the analysis section of the paper) was Lonergan bringing home the gold and the argument that ends with them being captured.  I decided that it was significant that both of them were interacting with women when they showed their anger, and I think I pulled enough in from my sources to cover it.
The last scene I analyzed was Dolarhyde torturing the guy who got left behind when the aliens killed all the cattle.  I picked this one because he is so businesslike about what he is doing.  The guy doesn't seem to recognize how angry he is, but it seemed obvious to me that when he is truly enraged, he suddenly turns cold and stops his usual irritated behavior.  Here I am sure that I supported my interpretation with evidence from the "text" and my source material.
All in all, I'm happy with the paper.  I could have done more with the lit survey on anger, I guess, but I didn't want to run out of room for the analysis, and you can tell that I don't exactly excel at . . . well, call it terseness for lack of a better word.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment