Friday, April 8, 2016

A Great Book, Finally

I know I said I'd post this a few hours after my last post, but it turned into almost a month.  And, no, I haven't been stalling.  I just forgot!  With all my coursework and getting my research paper draft going, this was the last thing on my mind.

Today is the second anniversary of my mother's death.  I woke up thinking about her, partly because I had a dream about her, in which she told me to "get cracking on that homework."  Since I'm just about up to date on everything else, I figured that this was my subconscious telling me I was missing something.  That was when I realized that I hadn't been posting.  So, here goes.

The book that has helped me the most with my paper is The Code of the Warrior:  Exploring Warrior Values Past and Present, by Shannon E. French, who is a philosophy professor at the U.S. Naval Academy.  Since she works in a military setting, it was probably only natural that she would want to write about this topic, and she obviously had access to plenty of current and former "warriors" to flesh out the research she did on warriors of the past.  One of the things that helped me is that it seems that the people (virtually all men) she consulted or quoted seemed to be able to detail the codes that governed their behaviors as members of the military, which fit what I saw in Avengers:  Age of Ultron.  I'll talk more about that in my next post.

Anyway, it's a terrific read; I couldn't put it down.  Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment